Infrastructure Universe Vol. 29 – New Releases… Ready. Set. Go!
New Software Releases
Civil 3D 2020 has been released! 04.10.2019
AutoCAD 2020 was released 3.27.19
Updates and Hot Fixes
Autodesk Recap Photo Update Version 188.8.131.52
Autodesk Licensing Service – 184.108.40.206 – April 2019 Hotfix
Autodesk 2020 version software can exhibit below listed issues on Windows systems that wake up from Hibernate mode or have Hybrid Sleep enabled.
• Multiple Autodesk processes (AdskLicensingAgent) showing up in Task Manager, which do not go away even when the product is quit.
• In case of network licensing, the additional process may keep consuming the seat from the license server even after product is closed in such situation.
• When viewing Licensing Manager, the user may see several copies of their active license
• The product forcing the user to save their work and quit the product
• In rare circumstances, the application completely hangs
Autodesk ReCap / Autodesk ReCap Pro Update version 220.127.116.11
Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018.3 Update
The following enhancements have been included in the Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018.3 Update:
Design Efficiency Updates
• You can now specify the maximum rate of change for the superelevation cross slope of an alignment in the Edit Feature Settings – Alignment dialog box.
Production Efficiency Updates
• Data shortcut synchronization related to superelevation and cant changes has been enhanced. With this enhancement, changes to more types of superelevation or cant parameters in a source alignment will prompt you to synchronize a data referenced alignment.
• You can use a new system variable named SyncDrefPsetToSource to control whether property sets are synchronized when you synchronize data shortcut references. You can use the following settings for SyncDrefPsetToSource:
• 0: Property sets will never be synchronized when related data referenced objects are synchronized.
• 1: Property sets will be synchronized when related data referenced objects are synchronized.
Collaboration Efficiency Updates
• You can use a new option in the Export Settings dialog box to specify whether to convert feature lines, parcel segments, and survey figures to 2D polylines or to 3D polylines when exporting a drawing with the Export Civil 3D Drawing command.
Note: For information about additional updates to the Export Civil 3D Drawing command, see Primary Issues Resolved by This Update.
The following issues have been resolved in the Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018.3 Update:
• Fixed an issue that caused the GetDisplayStylePlan method to produce an error when the selected object was in an xref.
• Fixed an issue that prevented the GetClosestPointTo method from working for pipes and pressure pipes.
• Fixed an issue that prevented getting the XRecord data of a data referenced object in the host drawing after synchronizing data references.
Autodesk Subassembly Composer
• Fixed an issue in the Subassembly Composer that affected the direction of the slope of a link based on the cant of a rail alignment.
• Fixed an issue that caused the AutoCAD dialog box to be displayed instead of the Civil 3D dialog box when checking in a drawing.
• Fixed an issue where a duplicate profile was created unexpectedly after synchronizing a referenced corridor.
• Fixed an issue that caused the application to close unexpectedly when checking in a drawing in which a corridor had been created from a referenced alignment.
• Fixed an issue that caused the application to close unexpectedly when using the AutoCAD OPEN command while a drawing that was checked out from Autodesk Vault was open and contained unsaved changes.
• Fixed an issue that caused the application to close unexpectedly when checking in files if the capitalization used in the Autodesk Vault server path was inconsistent.
• Improved performance when viewing Autodesk Vault projects on the Prospector tab in Toolspace.
• Fixed an issue that caused the properties of rehab subassemblies to be displayed incorrectly.
• Fixed an issue that prevented the Clear Corridor Bowties command from working on a corridor that contained a subassembly that was created with the Subassembly Composer.
• Fixed an issue that caused the outer corners of corridors to not clean up correctly where there were tangent-tangent intersections in the baseline.
• Fixed an issue that caused corridor sections and labels to disappear in a section view after synchronizing data shortcut references.
• Fixed an issue in which nested data referenced alignments and corridors reported being out of date.
• Fixed an issue in which nested alignment data shortcut references appeared to be broken after data shortcuts were deleted.
• Fixed an issue in which data referenced alignments were created as the wrong alignment type when creating data referenced corridors that had dependent non-centerline alignments.
• Fixed an issue that prevented creating corridor data shortcut references.
• Fixed an issue where the code set style specified in the CreateCorridorReference command settings was not used when creating corridor data shortcut references.
• Fixed an issue in which corridor data shortcut references appeared to be broken when adding a baseline to a corridor.
• Fixed an issue in which a data referenced corridor was not reported as being out of date after the associated data referenced alignment was deleted.
• Fixed an issue that caused a synchronization message to be displayed in a host drawing after using the ZOOM command in a source drawing that contained a pipe network data shortcut and then saving the drawing.
• Fixed issues that caused a delay to occur in some circumstances when creating data shortcuts.
• Added a message for instances in which the source of a corridor data shortcut reference needs to be rebuilt.
• Improved performance when specifying the data shortcuts folder in situations where the working folder contains many projects.
• Improved performance when synchronizing data shortcut references.
Export Civil 3D Drawing Command
• Fixed an issue where the Export Civil 3D Drawing command did not explode external references as expected.
• Fixed an issue that caused a proxy state message to be displayed when opening a drawing that was exported with the Export Civil 3D Drawing command.
• Fixed an issue that caused the application to close unexpectedly when using the Export Civil 3D Drawing command.
• Fixed an issue that caused the application to close unexpectedly when using the Export Civil 3D Drawing command to export a drawing with a pipe and a structure and where the Pipe Centerline component of the assigned pipe style was visible in plan view.
• Fixed an issue that caused Hydraflow Express to become unresponsive when performing culvert calculations.
• Fixed an issue in Hydraflow Express where the depth and spread were incorrect for grate inlets in sag conditions when a local depression was present.
• Updated the inlet diagram in Hydraflow Express so it no longer includes the gutter depression in the local depression.
• Fixed an issue in Hydraflow Hydrographs where the total outflow that was reported for a pond increased each time it was computed.
• Fixed an issue in Hydraflow Storm Sewers that caused the energy loss in a line to be reported as a negative value in some cases.
• Fixed an issue in Hydraflow Storm Sewers that caused out of date EGL values to be shown in reports.
• Fixed an issue that caused labels to disappear after reloading an externally referenced drawing.
• Fixed an issue where deleting a component from a parent label style resulted in the deletion of all components in the child label styles.
• Fixed an issue that caused line labels to be drawn in the wrong location.
• Fixed an issue in which corridor point label styles were not included in section label sets.
• Corrected the annotation along parcel segments created from alignments.
• Fixed an issue in which structure Sump Depth values were set to 2 when importing a pipe network from a Hydraflow Storm Sewers (.stm) file.
• Fixed an issue that caused pipe network structures to scale incorrectly when their assigned style used the Use Fixed Scale From Part Size option.
• Fixed an issue where the appearance of pipe networks was not preserved after they were exploded.
• Added a message for situations where the currently selected structure cannot be resized to match the pipe depths when using the Swap Part command.
• Fixed an issue that caused the properties specified on the Query Builder tab of the Point Group Properties dialog box to change after attaching an xref.
• Fixed an issue that caused the point data in a .csv file to be parsed incorrectly during the point import process if the point data contained user defined properties.
• Fixed an issue that caused the Value field for the Profile Style property in the profile feature settings to be empty after attaching a reference template to the drawing.
• Fixed an issue that caused the pipe rules to be applied to a drawing when a reference template was attached or updated.
• Fixed an issue where the volume of a volume surface shown in a surface elevation legend table did not match the volume shown in the surface properties.
• Fixed an issue that caused the application to close unexpectedly when using the Swap Edge command.
• Fixed an issue where accessing survey figure properties in model space from within a locked layout viewport would cause the viewport scale to change.
• Fixed an issue that caused survey figure data to be imported incompletely.
Infrastructure Parts Editor 2020
All New and Updated Features
|Add-ins for Autodesk InfraWorks||· Added the ability to install both the previous release version and current release version of the Autodesk Revit Infraworks Updater and Autodesk Inventor Infrastructure Modeler Plugin. See About Add-Ins for InfraWorks|
|Autodesk Connector for ArcGIS||· With appropriate permissions, users of InfraWorks that load a dataset from ArcGIS will now be able to commit local changes back to the ESRI feature service using the new Save Back command.|
|Civil Structures||· Added the ability to add a bridge abutment or foundation back to the bridge after it has been removed.|
· Improved the Send to Revit functionality so that volume information for each direct shape is passed to Revit as a shared parameter.
· Removed the Create Steel Bridge icon from the Bridge Design toolset. We removed this tool because it only applied to legacy, non parametric bridges and did not allow for the use of mixed girder types on the same bridge. Steel bridges can now be created with much more detail and more realistic steel girders by simply applying either the Steel Plate or Steel Box girders to any parametric bridge using the Create Parametric Bridge tool.
|Extended Schema||· Added export/import capability to the Extend Schema tool so that users can easily move or add schema extensions.|
|Model Builder||· We’ve updated the Model Builder model creation workflow to allow all users to choose whether to store their models locally or in BIM 360. Model builder previously only allowed users to save to BIM 360 if they had any type of BIM 360 account. Now users will be prompted with every new Model Builder model to select either saving the model to their local system, or storing the model in a BIM 360 Document Management project. See To create a model with Model Builder|
|Roadway Design||· We’ve added the ability to control the color of individual cut and fill grading zones in a road design. A new material entry is now shown in the user interface, one for cut and one for fill.|
· We’ve improved the Profile View panel so that the cross section viewer updates its display dynamically based on the location of the station tracker in the profile view.
|Surface Layers||· We enhanced support for terrain surfaces by adding an opacity field in the Stack panel so that each terrain layer can be rendered as transparent according to opacity. See To add or modify surface layers|
|Traffic Simulation||· We are turning off the cloud based simulation service and will instead be hosting this service locally. From a user perspective, the Traffic Simulation capabilities will not change.|
|Visualization||· We’ve improved the functionality of the frame per second (FPS) rate counter in InfraWorks. Previously, when toggling on the FPS rate counter using its keyboard shortcut (CRTL + SHIFT + ALT + F), the current rate of frames per second were displayed. We’ve improved this functionality to instead calculate and report the current average frame rate. This improvement can help users to optimize model performance, especially when creating custom content libraries for use in InfraWorks. See Keyboard Shortcuts.|
Autodesk InfraWorks (2020.0 – April 2019 release)
|Improved terrain interpolation of multiple raster data sources by filling holes of the top raster terrain layer in the combination area.|
|Fixed an issue where InfraWorks would unexpectedly close in some cases after opening a model.|
|Autodesk Connector for ArcGIS|
|Fixed an issue where newly-added portals did not appear in the list of available portals.|
|Fixed an issue where layer selection was not working as expected.|
|Fixed an issue where InfraWorks would unexpectedly close after launching, signing-in, and then closing the Autodesk Connector for ArcGIS.|
|Fixed an issue where the portal manager would not open after a user deleted an enterprise portal.|
|Fixed an issue where tunnel segments were not rendering correctly.|
|Fixed an issue where girder spacing on a bridge was incorrect if the road had a taper.|
|Fixed an issue where a girder was too deep when the catalog dimension for the ACItem was null. To resolve this, if the ACItem has a null value, then 0.0/0/false/”” will now be used.|
|Girders with plinths now fit with the deck for various lateral offsets|
|Fixed an issue where creating a Shared View resulted in InfraWorks closing, if the InfraWorks model contained a 3D model style without associated textures.|
|Fixed an issue in which terrain surfaces with certain custom coordinate systems were not supported.|
|Fixed an issue in which IMX-based terrain surfaces could not be pasted into a model as a data source and would not display in canvas.|
|Improved the performance of the Terrain Statistics Tool when adding, removing, or clearing measurements.|
|Fixed an issue in which InfraWorks did not warn users that dragging a road style onto a component road is not supported. With this fix, dragging a road style onto a component road will now display a “Do Not” symbol and the component road components will display in red when the cursor is over them.|
|Fixed an issue where the component road sketch tool did not display the most recently-selected assembly style, if it was a user-defined component road assembly.|
|Improved a performance issue that occurred when performing Sight Distance Analysis on a long road.|
|Fixed an issue in which the feature theme up and down buttons were not working as expected.|
|Fixed an issue in which textures could not be added to a new material style from your local system.|
|Fixed a reported issue from customers who were experiencing flickering and inconsistent point cloud display.|
|Added more supported options for point cloud terrain processing when using different window sizes and resolutions.|
|Fixed an issue where the status bar did not display correct coordinate information related to mouse position all the time. In addition, the status bar now displays feature-specific information when needed.|
|Fixed an issue where water areas and rivers did not disappear when surface opacity was set to 0.|
Autodesk Revit 2020.0.1 Viewer Mode Hotfix
Issues resolved by this hotfix
This hotfix addresses a customer reported issue in which Revit sessions run in Viewer Mode unexpectedly, without displaying the Viewer Mode dialog to warn users that Revit functionality is restricted in this mode. These restrictions include: save or save as in all cases, exporting or publishing modified projects, exporting or publishing any projects to a format containing model data that can be modified, and printing projects after changes are made.
Advance Steel Extension for Revit 2020
Learn about enhancements and new features in the Advance Steel 2020 Extension for Revit
• The extension exports models using only the Rule Based Mapping Transfer. The Revit Family Based Mapping Transfer and the Dynamic Profile Transfer types were removed from the export functionality.
• Added the “Ignore beam cutbacks and extensions on export” option in the Settings dialog.
• Added a search field in the manual mapping dialog, which allows you to easily find the desired section from the Revit family.
• The Refresh button loads the modifications made in the Revit model inside the Synchronization dialog.
• Fixed an issue where an anchor in Advance Steel was imported at a slightly different position in Revit.
• Fixed an issue where a plate element was reporting an incorrect position change in the Revit Synchronization dialog.
• Fixed an issue where the model was not displayed in Revit, after a smlx file was imported.
• Fixed an issue where the holes placed on an angle profile, in Advance Steel, were imported at a slightly different position in Revit.
Great Videos & New Tools
Civil 3D 2020 – Dynamo Design Automation
Interested in learning more about Civil 3D 2020? With Civil 3D 2020, we’re particularly excited to introduce Dynamo for Civil 3D, which will streamline repetitive tasks and help you get more out of your model.
You can get started with the included sample scripts or use the visual programming environment to develop custom scripts to tackle your specific tasks. Accelerate design efficiencies with Dynamo for Civil 3D and the new features in Civil 3D 2020.
Parametric Part Modeling in InfraWorks
One of the great abilities of Autodesk InfraWorks is the ability to build your own parametric parts for use in the software. I’ve been getting more requests for items, so I’ve decided to make a page on my website for these styles, downloadable for a fee. The first one released today is a parametric stair style, check it out!
I was recently asked how to model a truck dock quickly in InfraWorks. Well, there isn’t a quick method that I know of without performing some grading in Civil 3D and passing the surface over to the model until now. With Parametric parts, we can create just about anything. Here’s a truck dock added to IW with a Terrain Hole Coverage Area in about 5 mins… well, 8 minutes with recording and talking on the video 🙂
hashtag#productivity hashtag#infraworks hashtag#inventor hashtag#customize
3D Machine Control Modeling For The Earth Moving Industry Using Drones
You know Quantum Land Design is the trusted expert in 3D machine control modeling for the earth moving industry. Now you have the opportunity to leverage our experience with your drone data through Quantum’s Flight Pack.
Quantum’s Flight Pack is a simple, easy to use drone system any contractor can operate.
Instead of specialized (read…expensive) drones and ground control targets you utilize the GPS system you already own to measure ground control. Your data will match your machine control system and project plans every time.
BIM360 Revit Plant 3D Advance Steel and Inventor
Watch as Roland Legnon from Autodesk uses BIM 360 with a Revit Model, Plant 3D model, Inventor Model and Advance Steel Model inside of the Model coordination tool of BIM 360.
Infrastructure Tuesday: The Basics to Setting Up a Pipe Catalog
We missed having you join us for April’s Infrastructure Tuesday webinar but you can still earn something new. View the video to learn the basics of Civil 3D Pipe Network Catalogs with the following main topics:
- How the Parts Catalog Works
- Catalogs in a Multi-User Environment
- Parts Lists Basics
- Pipe Network Design Notes & Tips
Infrastructure Tuesday: Point Cloud with Autodesk and Beyond
We missed having you join us for May’s Infrastructure Tuesday webinar but you can still earn something new. The video begins with the basics of how point clouds can be created, learning the difference between “structured” vs “unstructured” scans, how to get surfaces out of the point clouds into Civil 3D, then covers a variety of topics and softwares, not just what is offered by Autodesk.
What’s New in Civil Infrastructure 2020
Hot Infrastructure News
Autodesk Official Show Reel 2019
Annual showcase of Autodesk and customer work. As a global leader in 3D design, building, engineering and entertainment software, Autodesk gives you the power to Make Anything. Production by The Vangelist: www.thevangelist.com Music and Sound Design by Brass Coffee: www.brasscoffee.com.
3 Ways Smart Glasses Cleared a Path for Tunnel and Concourse Construction at LAX
Tunnel vision—focusing on a single objective while remaining blind to peripheral risks and opportunities—can make even the steadiest projects sway. Especially when those projects take place in, well, tunnels, where tunnel vision is as literal as it is figurative.
Lynn Allen, Global Technology Evangelist, Launches Website
In her 15+ year career as Technology Evangelist, Lynn Allen has spoken to more than a half million professionals at events in over 50 countries throughout the world. Her online presentations and videos have easily reached over five million individuals. Her passion and strength is connecting with users, helping them embrace change and shining a light on new technology.
Autodesk Civil Engineering Community Webcasts
Learn, experience, and inspire with the Autodesk civil infrastructure community and their resource of available webcasts.
Infrastructure Tuesday: Bluebeam Tips & Tricks
June 4, 2019 @ 11am PST
In this 30 minute webinar, both new and experienced Bluebeam Revu users will become Markup Experts by applying simple tips & tricks to their everyday workflows.
Attendees will learn:
1. Where are the markup tools in the 2018 user interface?
2. Autosize a Textbox, Add/Remove a Leader on a Callout, Draw Circles, Squares and Arcs. Along with several more.
3. How to save custom tools and set up defaults.
Presented by: Troy DeGroot
Bluebeam: Estimating Takeoffs 101
May 29 and 30, 2019 @ 2pm CST (both days)
In Estimating / Material Takeoffs 101 we will go over the workflow for calibrating your drawings to ensure accurate dimensions followed by several of the major measurement tools needed for generating material estimates. Whether you measure area of flooring, siding or seal coating, length of steel beams, retaining walls or wires, or maybe count sinks or manholes Bluebeam Revu has the tools.