Greetings from the Infrastructure Universe! Over the last few weeks, Autodesk has released a few updates for various softwares. There are some exciting updates for everyone, but, if you design Pressure Networks, make sure you check out PressureCAD in the Great Videos & New Tools Section!
If you’re new to the Infrastructure Universe, don’t forget to sign up for the mailing list below to receive the monthly updates by email!
Software Updates and Hotfixes
#2: BIM 360 Glue AutoCAD 2018 Add-in
#3: Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D Geotechnical Module 2018
The Geotechnical Module for Civil 3D 2018 has been released. Some key features include:
- Import borehole data
- Create 3D borehole modules
- Display 2D borehole strip diagrams
- Display 2D borehole diagrams on AutoCAD Civil 3D profiles based on a buffered alignment
- Create and manage AutoCAD Civil 3D surfaces based on borehole data
#4: Autodesk AutoCAD 2018.0.2 Update
This update fixes some important issues like:
- Occasional crashes when editing an undefined hatch pattern no longer occur
- Right clicking in the Block Edit mode no longer displays an error message in the Command window
- Plotting! Certain text styles are no longer upside down when printed to PDF
- Self-Intersecting wipeouts in a block will perform as expected when plotted.
- Fixed a defect that would otherwise have caused the product subscription to expire on June 1st, 2017 with a pre-release product error message
- Ability to input values for the Material Editor Palette is restored
- Digitally signed AutoLISP files can be loaded as expected
- Occasional crashes when opening certain DXF files no longer occur
#5: Autodesk Navisworks 2018 Update 1
This patch contains bug fixes, such as:
- Resolved an issue during Timeliner Simulation where an animation export could cause model items to show at the wrong time
- Resolved an issue with incorrect viewpoints in XML exports, which led to unreadable XML files
- Resolved “API not licensed” exception when using the .NET API.
- Resolved an unhandled exception when calling the modelGeometry.PermanentOverrideTransform property
Great Videos & New Tools
PressureCAD is an AutoCAD add-in that works with AutoCAD and all products on the AutoCAD platform, like Civil 3D. It is designed to connect AutoCAD and Civil 3D and your water distribution analysis workflow. PressureCAD is built from EPANET which is the industry standard engine for water distribution modeling. Learn more about PressureCAD’s key features like the ability to modify your Hydraulic settings, project inputs, time settings and constraints and draw pipes (AutoCAD version) with XDATA for EPANET analysis.
Browser-based web visualization of massive Point Cloud data
virtualcityPUBLISHER from virtualcitySYSTEMS is a solution for presenting your 3D city models, oblique imagery, point clouds and 2D maps online.
The Pointcloud add-on, developed by virtualcitySYSTEMS and Point Cloud Technologies (PCT) in Potsdam, Germany, helps you prepare massive point clouds for web-based visualization.
Creating “True” Offset Geometry using OFFSETGAPTYPE
From Civil Immersion: “Generally speaking, when using the OFFSET command we are creating a parallel copy. That being said, parallel copies aren’t always the best solution for every offset. For example, if an offset is meant to define a buffer, limit, safety zone or impact area; the “traditional” result may not be the most accurate.”
Hot Infrastructure News
Workflows that support Caltrans projects!!!
Made especially for Caltrans, this Autodesk-produced ebook shows how you can start using BIM in your infrastructure design process.
From Autodesk: “As a designer and builder of Caltrans infrastructure, you’re already familiar with Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D for powerful, context-sensitive BIM-based design. But did you know that AutoCAD Civil 3D is just one part of a comprehensive Autodesk BIM ecosystem that brings cloud-based BIM to every aspect of your design and build processes? That’s right, every aspect, from collaboration to reality capturing to simulations, all connected through Autodesk InfraWorks.”
Digitize any room in seconds
Canvas, powered by the Structure Sensor, is an iPad application that allows you to capture 3D models of any room from the palm of your hand. With Canvas, you can save your models right on your iPad, share them via email, navigate between projects, and access all your measurements on-demand.
Webcast to Register For
Join my colleague Ron Couillard next Tuesday, July 11th, for a discussion and demonstration all about what’s new in Civil 3D 2018.
Some of the new Civil 3D 2018 features he’ll be talking about are: drafting buffer for cross section views, connected alignments (which allow you to link two intersecting alignments when creating things like a curb return), the ability to create Offset profiles using a default cross slope, and automatic plan and profile sheet generation with the Plan/Production tools.
If you can’t make it, you can still register, and we’ll send you the recording after!