Happy new year from the Infrastructure Universe! Autodesk has recently released a few updates for various softwares. I also have some really cool videos that show some helpful tips & tricks for Civil 3D. Read on for all the updates this month.
If you’re new to the Infrastructure Universe, don’t forget to sign up for the mailing list to receive the monthly updates by email!
Software Updates and Hotfixes
#1: Civil 3D 2018.2 Update (Service Pack)
The release of Civil 3D 2018.2 at the end of December, including design efficiency, production efficiency, and collaboration efficiency enhancements. Ron Couillard explained these enhancements in depth in a blog post last week. There are also many issues resolved in this update, including:
- An issue where the Daylight Bench subassembly failed to find the daylight point at certain slopes
- An issue that caused the ribbon to display as blank when a corridor section was selected
- An issue that caused the arrangement of cross sections in legacy drawings to return to a previous location
- An issue where turning off the visibility of a component in the Projection Styles dialog box also changed the visibility of objects in cross sections
- An issue that caused the elevation of a feature line to change when editing the elevation of another feature line that was snapped to the PI of the first feature line
#2: 3ds Max 2018.4 Update
This update contains fixes for many known issues related to 3ds Max Interactive, animation, MAXScript, modeling, and more. There are also workarounds for several problems with no current fix.
#3: Autodesk Vehicle Tracking 2018.2 Update
This update resolved several issues, including:
- An issue when updating a roundabout after updating to Update 1
- An issue in advanced editor when adding a shape
- An issue that caused a “My Documents/My Vehicle Tracking Data” folder being created in the user’s home folder
- An issue that occurred when printing Design Check reports on some drawings
#4: Navisworks Manage 2018.2 Update (Service Pack)
This update includes several enhancements, including:
- LMV users will now see a clear error message when the Navisworks extractor fails
- In ReCap, a viewpoint is saved at the origin of each scan
- Navisworks now supports the ability to outline cross-sections
There are also many fixes included for current known issues.
Great Videos & New Tools
Creating a Code Set Style to Display the Plottable Geometry of a Civil 3D Corridor Model
From Civil Immersion: “When creating a Civil 3D corridor using the “out of the box” settings, you’ll find it displays using a code set style that’s designed for editing. (All feature lines, and assembly insertions are shown.) Code set styles represent a powerful tool for controlling the appearance of every aspect of a corridor’s design.”
Tool for Tuesday: MapTrim
From Civil Immersion: “It slices and dices like a Ginsu knife! When working on projects, there are times where we only need a portion of our model geometry. Perhaps we want to share some of the data but not all of it. Perhaps we want to create a DWG that only shows the contents of a layout viewport. Perhaps we would like to eradicate all of the geometry inside or outside of a boundary…”
Autodesk University 2017 Highlights: Transportation Summit
The Autodesk University 2017 Transportation Summit focused on customer-driven discussions, from the evolution of project-delivery best practices to customer-driven technology presentations, emerging technology and workflow/process changes that are empowering connected Building Information Modeling (BIM) in transportation.
- Explore BIM workflows and best practices with specific aviation & rail and roads & highways breakouts and a combined customer showcase.
- Engage with our software and hardware partners, experiencing technology such as reality capture and virtual reality firsthand.
- Extend your network by connecting with peers and sponsors during networking breaks and in the hands-on tech area.
Watch the Videos
Autodesk Vehicle Tracking: Airport Swept Path Analysis
In this video, Autodesk’s Angel Espinoza demonstrates swept path analysis for airports.
Hot Infrastructure News
BIM is cutting construction costs, but there is no US standard in sight
Image: Construction Dive
2017 Drone Buyer’s Guide
Download this guide from DroneDeploy to:
- Learn about the benefits drone mapping can offer your business
- Understand the various types of drone models and applications
- Explore aerial imaging and cameras options available for drone mapping
- Review side-by-side comparisons of some of the most popular drones for mapping